This is one of those "invite your neighbors" over meals as it is so filling and makes a huge pan! You can also make in 2 smaller portions and freeze the other half
pasta-chicken broccoli bake
what you need....
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper (i left this part out)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup (4 oz.) freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (20-oz.) package refrigerated cheese-and-spinach tortellini (not cooked)
- 4 cups chopped fresh broccoli (not cooked)
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 15 round buttery crackers, crushed (reduced fat ritz works well!)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (i skipped these too)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted (i skipped this)
Preheat oven to 350°. Melt 1/2 cup butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add onion and next 2 ingredients, and sauté 5 to 6 minutes or until tender. Add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Whisk in broth, half-and-half, and white wine. Reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring constantly, 6 to 8 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
Remove from heat; add 1 cup cheese and next 2 ingredients, stirring until cheese melts. Stir in tortellini and next 2 ingredients. Spoon into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Stir together 1/2 cup grated cheese and next 3 ingredients. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake at 350° for 40 to 45 minutes or until bubbly.